The Construction Coordinator will be responsible to the Lead Advisor (Construction and Fire Safety) and the primary function of the role is to provide specialised support and advice to all stakeholders in relation to construction health, safety and welfare issues across the capital programme and responsive repairs service.
The Construction Coordinator will act as a key advisor to Companies’ in house responsive repairs service, leading on the development and updating of policies, procedures, guidance, risk assessments and method statements in relation to this area of work. In addition, the Construction Coordinator will also carry out routine health, safety and welfare inspections on the Companies’ directly employed operatives and work sites, as well as numerous support contractors working on the companies behalf.
The Construction Coordinator will also play a key role in the safe delivery of the Companies Cyclical Improvement Programme (CIP) and other capital works i.e. new build, by proactively monitoring site operations to ensure works are carried out in accordance with agreed construction phase plans and liaising with the Companies appointed Principal Designers/Client Representatives and the CDM Advisor (CDM-A) as necessary.
1. Provide technical advice and support to repairs service managers on a wide range of health and safety issues arising from the Companies construction/maintenance activities, including but not limited to; risk assessment and development of safe systems of work (SSW), accident/incident reporting and investigation, development of control of substances hazardous to health assessments, manual handling, management of hot works, asbestos management, CDM compliance and work at height, all of which must be consistent with companies corporate health and safety policy.
2. To be jointly responsible for day to day supervision, allocation and checking quality of work of the Apprentice Construction/Fire Safety Coordinator in order to develop the individuals competence in both construction and fire safety.
3. To assist in the Procurement of construction work/contractors, carrying out competency assessments of potential contractors on behalf of the Companies, as required by the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.
4. Ensure that exceptional health and safety standards are maintained within Property Services department and internal safety audit systems are followed, consistent with the Companies policies, in consultation with the Lead Advisor (Construction and Fire Safety) and the Construction and Fire Safety Manager.
5. Assist in developing and reviewing construction and fire safety policies and guidance in the accordance with changes in legislation, official guidance and industry standards.
6. Develop positive working relationships with team leaders/supervisors within the responsive repairs service, all members of the project team and liaise effectively and productively to deliver efficient and safe projects on time and to budget.
7. Review safety policies, risk assessments, method statements and safety plans developed by contractors, advising client representatives on the suitability of these, as per the requirements of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, both prior to works commencing and throughout the construction phase of a project